Saturday 22 September 2007

Nairobi on a Saturday night

Here I am now safely ensconced in my hotel in Nairobi after a long day basically spent travelling for what was a four hour flight. Up early to be at the airport by 7.30am and supposedly a 9.35 take off which ended up quite delayed due to congestion and an emergency landing which stopped all activity for a while. However, we were finally in the air with the pilot telling us we'd still get in on time. Kenya is an hour forward from South Africa and that basically meant we should have landed around 2.40 local time.

I had the company of a young Chinese couple from Shanghai for the flight and all in all the time passed quickly. The pilot negotiated with Dar es Salaam so that he could drop down to 23,000 feet and do a circuit of Mt Kilimanjaro, which was supposed to be on my side of the plane at first but ended up on the other side. There was a rush of passengers (surprised the plane didn't tilt) and those of us who were well behaved missed it entirely. As it is over 19,000 feet high I'm sure it was a spectacular sight.

We all had a surge of trepidation when just before we touched down the pilot powered up and took us back up and past the airport, but the second attempt was perfectly successful and resulted in some cheers and clapping from sections of the plane. We had a South African schoolboy sporting team and the Ugandan rugby union team on board, weight-wise I'm sure we were over the limit, even without my excess baggage!

All the formalities went smoothly but by the time I got through passport and visa it was headed for 4.30 and the hotel, when I got there, was a welcome sight. I am right in the heart of the city CBD. Interestingly there was an under vehicle inspection before we could get near the hotel with one of those mirror devices and there's a security screening gate at the entrance! Coffee and a shower helped revive me. I have a poolside room which is very nice, with my own little terrace beside the pool. Maybe a swim at some stage if it's warm enough.

Tomorrow I head out to the soda lakes to see the flamingos - I'm just waiting now for Alfred from Kenya Wildlife Trails to come and make final arrangements. Probably another early start I guess but it should be worth it.

I had a surge of hope when I saw the drives in the computers here but they won't recognise DVDs unfortunately so the photos are still locked away! However, there's a photographic store over the road and on Monday I will try and get them loaded onto CDs and then maybe I will be in business. Fingers crossed. I tried again at J'burg airport to buy a different storage device but couldn't find one. Maybe here I will locate something better, or perhaps even another laptop. Will see what prices are like. Nairobi is a city of 3 million so I'm sure there should be something around. The exchange rate is 65 Kenyan shillings to the US dollar and prices seem quite reasonable. It cost me 350 shillings for coffee and croissant which seemed more than fair.

Lahni guess what - I found an Habib Koite CD advertised at a music store at J'burg airport - remember the guy we saw at Folkie? I took the opportunity to buy one - you can share.

I have been for about an hour's walk around the central blocks - there was a market across the road but there were lots of young guys outside touting for business and I didn't feel like facing the hassle. I came across plenty of craft and curio shops on my walk so there will be places to shop I'm sure. Everyone says that it's safe during the day but not after dark, so it seems I'll be in the hotel during the evenings. There's a few restaurants here though (and coffee shops) so I'm sure there'll be something to do in the evenings. If I can get access to my photos then I will certainly have plenty to keep me busy.

Thanks for everything Lon - I've managed by myself so far and haven't left a single thing behind or been late anywhere! See, there really are still miracles! I've been thinking of Lonni lots, she has about another 3 and a half hours before she touches down in Brisbane so I hope she's currently sound asleep! I miss you Lon and thanks for being a wonderful travelling companion - I love you.

And Ian I know I have missed your birthday and Micheal I will miss yours, you'll just have to wait until I get home guys, but I haven't forgotten you. Love and hugs to both of you for the important day.

Here's Alfred arrived so will say goodnight - I should have lots to tell you after tomorrow's outing.

Until then, lotsa love to everyone

Lyndall

No comments: