Sunday 11 November 2007

Ethiopia again

The last full week in Addis seemed to really fly by but included quite a few important events. There was massive cleanup 2 days at the library and then a visit to the library by UNICEF; another visit to the streets even earlier in the morning; more sending of proposals to all sorts of places; a beautiful dinner with Terkle (one of the original founders of Youth Impact) at his home; a session with Ermi's boys and especially Yonas while he told me, for almost 2 hours, his story of how he came to be on the street and what street life was like for him; and on Saturday Yodi, Koni, Ermi and I went out of the city south again to visit Sodere, another hot springs pool that was very pleasant and relaxing. I took my laptop and did some work there and also had a swim and then promptly fell alseep for 2 hours!



I have written up Yonas's story and I'm waiting for it to be translated back to him and for him to give me permission to use it. Then it will be publication time. I cried almost the whole time he spoke, for once I did it quietly, tears just continuously pouring down my cheeks. I'm sure you'll understand when you read it. I became very attached to the older boys who had been so long on the street.



We did more visits to the Sheraton of course and got ready for my last few days in Addis, knowing that it was going to be hard to leave. I kept making lists of things that had to be done and then deciding what couldn't be fitted in. We decided that Friday would mark the last day of English and everyone began to get a little sad knowing that the end was coming.

I've got to go, I have visitors in the lobby and still have to have a shower.

More tomorrow

Love to all

Lyndall

No comments: