Saturday 3 November 2007

Taking to the streets - and more



Addis begins to wake up

But some still sleep anywhere they can find a place - what is there to wake up to?



More on week 2 -


A female street cleaner on the left tries to sweep up some of the rubbish - so much plastic!


Yesterday morning we went out early to see the streets before the homeless all got up. It was so sad, afterwards I cried lots (and Ermi and I had a cry together). The numbers were incredible – on footpaths, in the road, on the dividers, in shop doorways – literally thousands of them wrapped in blankets and plastic. I didn’t really get any good photos, Ermi didn’t want to stop and let me out, but I need to get some just to show people what this level of poverty is really like. I got some from the car but they are not really clear of course. And the rubbish, in huge piles, goats eating it, people sifting through it. Mothers with children, old men, people with all sorts of disabilities, young men and boys (Koni says that children as young as 3 live on the streets and are abused in all sorts of ways, made to steal, beaten etc. etc.)


We approach the bus station - this is for buses that take people out of Addis. A policeman is in the pale fawn trousers and dark jacket


We went past a bus station, huge queues of people waiting to get on buses and in the cabs, and TOTAL traffic chaos which took us a while to get through. And everywhere piles of chud (at least I think that’s how it’s spelled, that’s how it’s pronounced) which is chewed green and I think must be a bit like chewing a coca leaf – a mild stimulant. Some of the homeless just sit for hours chewing. Ermi just said to me as we were driving away – “This is my country”. He looked so sad. (And I’m crying again just writing this down). And yet, the kids that they take off the street are such high achievers, many of the kids do amazingly well academically.

Around 3 million people in Ethiopia are currently infected with HIV/AIDS. The rate of infection is increasing rapidly, and in Addis Ababa, one in six adults are already infected. Street children are particularly vulnerable to infection due to their low state of health and their susceptibility to becoming involved with sex work to survive. Children living and working on the street are at great risk of abuse and exploitation, and their susceptibility is worsened by a general lack of awareness regarding HIV/AIDS prevention in the community at large. I asked Koni if any of the girls or boys is infected but she said no-one has been tested. I’m not sure why – maybe they don’t want anyone to be treated any differently. I saw a guy on the street yesterday wearing a shirt that just said HIV NEGATIVE. And obviously proud of it.

I’ve also met Abraham, the older man of the Impact organisation who lived in Canada for lots of years and has come back to live in Ethiopia to try and make a difference. He’s a gray-haired, gorgeous (and married) man. And I went to the mentor’s house (where they train young men and women so that they can mentor others – subjects like integrity, work ethic, self-esteem etc. ) and met more lovely people (and got prayed over again – it seems I am a blessing and need to be cared for). One has a little child and one has a baby due yesterday so I will get to take some photos of beautiful babies soon. One of the mentor trainees had some seizures on Monday and Tuesday. Everyone (including me) has chipped in for a CT scan for him – difficult to get and expensive in Ethiopia. I think he had it yesterday – hopefully it’s something like epilepsy that can be managed and not something more serious. (It turned out that nothing at all showed up on the CT scan so what happened remains a mystery but he seems to be OK)

Tasfaye's baby girl named for Ruth (in the Bible)

Sentayehu

Ledet, Kidist and one of the Mahluts now call me their mother, as do Sentayehu, Nati, Engadu and Masfen at the boys’ house. Mahlut tells me I am really mother to all the girls and boys. All of the boys are SO loving (girls too). Sometimes you can stand in a hug for several minutes as they just don’t want to let you go. So it takes a long time to arrive and leave any of the houses – you have to factor in hug time coming and going. Sentayhu was the first boy to adopt me, he’s beautiful (maybe 14?) and Ledet has been my baby since I arrived (11 I think). The family is growing guys! I will find it difficult to leave them behind.

Tomorrow all the younger boys and girls and a handful of adults and me all get on a bus for a weekend out of Addis. The excitement level continues to rise and this house has started cooking for the picnic. Some sort of onion sauce I think. We’re taking breakfast and lunch, we’ll eat out for dinner. Koni and I ate out for dinner the other night – it cost A$8 for the two of us in the restaurant (food and drink). Coffee at Kaldi’s is around 75 cents a cup. Some things are very cheap - some things (like a new card reader when mine died), are expensive.

Will add more on the third week shortly
lots of love
Lyndall

No comments: